Wednesday, April 6, 2011

i thank You God for most this amazing

 
i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

E. E. Cummings 


Sleep is like a private shelter, an all enveloping escape from this world. My head began to ache as I finished writing yesterday, and as dull pain began to sharpen I had only one weapon against it, sleep.  I succumbed quickly to it, allowed it to wrap me up in its warmth, to transport me far away from the world of hunger and strife and battles for justice.  I again awoke early well before my alarm, and again I was lifted out of my sleep with such tremendous joy and energy. This joy and energy is not what is to be expect as a reward for hunger. No the hunger will hurt, to feel real insecurity would be to know that there is no Friday-when I can break my fast- or that there is this Friday,  a day that brings the slashing of millions of dollars in benefits that support millions of households across this country. 


So, what then gives me such joy and pleasure this morning? "(Now the ears of my ears awake and now the eyes of my eyes are opened)" I am alive again today, and I am thankful for the gift of life which too often I forget is a gift. So rapid is the velocity of this world that I am in constant danger of having my whole life be lived unconsidered. The world around us will dictate how we live our lives, unless we stop and pause and think and finally say, "no this other way is actually how I want to live my life." This electrified "up tempo world of 24/7" has destroyed the night, which comes as a protector from the responsibility of the day. We push forward for the sake of productivity, without considering what it is we have sacrificed. 
When we have been sent to our deaths and reawakened, as happens every night, only when the sleep was comfortable, safe, secure, and the promise of tomorrow was bright, then and only then is when we can awake with true joy and thanks, "for most this amazing day."


One final note: 


The outpouring of support for this cause from you,  warms my heart at every turn. I was asked yesterday, "How do we stay optimistic?" I responded that we need to find a voice, and be unafraid to speak it. I am stronger today than I was a week ago because of all of you, many reached out and told me you are all feeling the same way. I am optimistic because so many pledged to fast a day this week. What can we do next? Any and all suggestions are welcome. I'm formulating some ideas for Friday's post.     


.


No comments:

Post a Comment