Sunday, April 3, 2011

The fear before the fast and "you can't be neutral on a moving train"

Let us start with the later. You can't be neutral on a moving train, comes from Zinn's book about his life and times. Inaction is not acceptable, to stand by is to make a choice against justice. When we ask the poorest in this country to carry the burden of austerity measures, while at the same time giving tax cuts to the wealthy corporations and individuals, we have created a twisted system. If I do not speak out, if  I do not try to make a difference to combat the fallacy of disaster capitalism then I am complicit in the suffering wrought by an unjust economic system. This train is moving, and it is gaining steam, but I won't be on that train, I will be right in front of it trying to stop it. This is a key element of my fast. I, of course, fast with the same purpose outlined by Beckmann (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-beckmann/fast-pray-and-protect-hun_b_840030.html) but also because I want to remind myself of what is important in this life. Standing for justice is not something I am willing to compromise, and hopefully this fast will remind me that nothing is more important than that pursuit.

I started my fast today at 10PM, I will end it at sunset on Friday evening. I will be on a water only fast. I am nervous, I have been very nervous since I decided last week to do the fast. Will I be capable of doing it? Inshallah I will.

Yesterday I had a dream about hunger, I had a dream about the fast, and about struggling to hold on to my fast in the face of the everyday world. I awoke with a renewed confidence that I am pursuing something worthy.

I think I am corruptible, after two years at HBS, it is easy to exchange guidance for error. It is tempting to think the pursuit of money has some long lasting benefit. Hopefully this fast will keep me on the straight path.

A few friends asked how will you make it through the everyday activities at HBS? Classes, or papers and presentations, all of these things that usually occupy my time and I devote my greatest attention towards. The answer was simple to me, those things will suffer, because they are not important this week.

I hope you will fast with me this week. Pick one day and fast sunrise to sunset with no food or water. Or pick a 24 hr period and do a water only fast. Please join this struggle, because you can't be neutral on a moving train.

No comments:

Post a Comment